“The UN General Secretary has called for this. It is crucial that political leaders across the world, including our own, back that call to avoid the loss of any more civilian lives.”Richard Burgon MP
By Labour Outlook
A parliamentary motion was tabled today with 46 MPs from eight parties calling for an immediate cessation of hostilities to protect civilians in Gaza and Israel.
Early Day Motion 1685: Protecting civilians in Gaza and Israel, laid by Richard Burgon MP, expresses its support for the call from leading humanitarian agencies – including Oxfam, Christian Aid, CAFOD, Medical Aid for Palestinians and Islamic Relief – for immediate action to prevent any more civilian loss of life.
It calls on the UK Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary to urgently press all parties to agree to an immediate de-escalation and cessation of hostilities, for the release of the Israeli hostages, an end to the total siege of Gaza and for unfettered access of lifesaving humanitarian aid, for international humanitarian law to be upheld and for civilians to be protected in accordance with those laws.
Richard Burgon MP said:
“These are incredibly dark days for humanity, with so many lives already lost. Preventing the death of any more civilians must be our top priority. That means we need an immediate ceasefire.
The UN General Secretary has called for this. It is crucial that political leaders across the world, including our own, back that call to avoid the loss of any more civilian lives.”
You can read the full text of the Early Day Motion and the see the current list of signatories below.
This House utterly condemns the massacre of Israeli civilians and taking of hostages by Hamas; agrees with the United Nations Secretary-General that these horrific acts do not justify responding with the collective punishment of the Palestinian people; expresses its deep alarm at the Israeli military bombardment and total siege of Gaza and the resulting deaths and suffering; believes that the urgent priority must be to stop the deaths and suffering of any more civilians in Gaza and Israel; welcomes the joint statement from 12 leading aid agencies, including Oxfam, Christian Aid, CAFOD, Medical Aid for Palestinians and Islamic Relief, calling for the Government to use its influence to help protect civilians, to ensure adherence to international humanitarian law and to guarantee civilians have access to critical life-saving humanitarian support; and to this end supports their call for the Prime Minister and Foreign Secretary to urgently press all parties to agree to an immediate de-escalation and cessation of hostilities, to ensure the immediate, unconditional release of the Israeli hostages, to end to the total siege of Gaza and allow for unfettered access of medical supplies, food, fuel electricity and water, to guarantee that international humanitarian law is upheld and that civilians are protected in accordance with those laws.
The current list of parliamentary supporters is:
- Richard Burgon MP, Labour
- John McDonnell MP, Labour
- Grahame Morris MP, Labour
- Beth Winter MP, Labour
- Zarah Sultana MP, Labour
- Nadia Whittome MP, Labour
- Jeremy Corbyn MP, Independent
- Jon Trickett, Labour
- Bell Ribeiro-Addy MP, Labour
- Kim Johnson MP, Labour
- Kate Osborne MP, Labour
- Claudia Webbe MP, Independent
- Olivia Blake MP, Labour
- Sam Tarry MP, Labour
- Tony Lloyd MP, Labour
- Ian Mearns MP, Labour
- Caroline Lucas MP, Green Party
- Diane Abbott MP, Independent
- Chris Stephens MP, Scottish National Party
- Apsana Begum MP, Labour
- Clive Lewis MP, Labour
- Andy McDonald MP, Labour
- Jonathan Edwards MP, Independent
- Barry Gardiner MP, Labour
- Liam Byrne MP, Labour
- Mick Whitley MP, Labour
- Kenny MacAskil MP, Labour
- Rebecca Long Bailey MP, Labour
- Lloyd Russell-Moyle MP, Labour
- Claire Hanna MP, Social Democratic & Labour Party
- Stephen Farry MP, Alliance
- Sir Peter Bottomley MP, Conservative
- Dawn Butler MP, Labour
- Gavin Newlands MP, Scottish National Party
- Cat Smith MP, Labour
- Labour Maskell MP, Labour
- Liz Saville Roberts MP, Plaid Cymru
- Marsha De Cordova, Labour
- Neale Hanvey, Alba Party
- Clive Betts, Labour
- Dr Philippa Whitford, Scottish National Party
- Colum Eastwood, Social Democratic & Labour Party
- Kate Hollern, Labour
- Deidre Brock, Scottish National Party
- You can read the full text of Early Day Motion 1685: Protecting civilians in Gaza and Israel and the current list of signatures here.