“This was an inspiring moment where NHS staff, patients, campaigners and activists came together to make a unified call for action to save our health service.”
By Patrick Foley
Tens of thousands took to the streets today (March 11th) for the #SOSNHS demonstration in London, showing solidarity with striking NHS workers and demanding investment for our health service after over a decade of cuts, back-door privatisation and profiteering from consecutive Tory Governments.
The was demo supported by a range of health campaigns, unions and campaigning organisations including NHS workers Say No, Health Campaigns Together, Keep Our NHS Public, Unite, NEU, PCS, Labour Assembly Against Austerity and others.
The core demands of the demo, coming just a week before Sunak’s Spring Budget on Wednesday were as follows:
- Emergency funding now
- Invest in a fully publicly owned NHS & guarantee free healthcare for future generations
- Pay staff properly: without fair pay, staffing shortages will cost lives
This was an inspiring moment where NHS staff, patients, campaigners and activists came together to make a unified call for action to save our health service.
You can see a collection of photos and comments from campaigns and comments from campaigners, MPs and trade unionist who took part.
- You can see all organisations involved in the demonstration and find out how you can get active in the defence of the NHS on the SOSNHS page here.
- You can read more recent coverage on the NHS crisis and why activists have mobilised for the SOSNHS demonstration from Holly Turner (NHS Workers Say NO), John McDonnell and the Labour Assembly Against Austerity.
- If you support Labour Outlook’s work amplifying the voices of left movements and struggles in the UK and internationally, please consider becoming a supporter on Patreon.