“Although a ceasefire is now in place, Palestinians are still facing the reality of Israel’s ongoing oppression. As they continue to resist, they need the continued and increasing support of the global solidarity movement.”
By Ben Jamal, Palestine Solidarity Campaign
I know, like me, you’ll be shaking in horror at the events of the past week – even though they followed a familiar script. Over 3 days Israel’s renewed bombing of besieged Gaza killed at least 44 Palestinians, including 15 children.
Once again our political leaders stayed silent, or worse – as in the case of Liz Truss – trumpeted their full support for Israel’s grotesque illegal actions, citing Israel’s right of self defence.
We know the truth that every act of violence used to sustain a system of occupation, apartheid, and settler colonialism is by definition illegitimate. It is Palestinians who have the right to resist and defend.
Although a ceasefire is now in place, Palestinians are still facing the reality of Israel’s ongoing oppression. As they continue to resist, they need the continued and increasing support of the global solidarity movement. We need to make our voices heard.
This is why we’re calling for your support. You can take action in the following three ways:
- Join the demonstration outside Downing Street this Wednesday 10th August, from 6-7pm
- Sign the petition calling on the Government to immediately review UK foreign policy in light of Israel’s ongoing apartheid against Palestinians. We need 100k signatures to force a parliamentary debate.
- Contribute to PSC’s ongoing campaigns with a donation of £5, £10, or whatever you can afford.
The bombs may, for a minute, have stopped falling on Gaza, but the injustice continues. Palestinians need us to stand in solidarity, to protest, and to take action.
- Ben Jamal is the Director of the Palestine Solidarity Campaign (PSC). You can follow him on twitter here; and follow PSC on Facebook, twitter and Instagram.
- This article was originally published by the Palestine Solidarity Campaign.